Thursday, February 27, 2014

Bain Beakley's Peanut Butter & Jelly Jam at Ocean Blues

Yesterday, my Internet was down, so I didn't know who'd be playing in Sarasota, it was raining, and I was in for the night . . . or so I thought. When I finally got back online, I saw on gotonight.com that Bain Beakley was at Ocean Blues. So I got myself out there, and, oh, my, my, was it worth it. A wall of loud and happy voices drew me into the dining room, where Bain Beakley and Twinkle were hurling harmonies at the mics in front of a table set with jars of peanut butter (smooth and crunchy) and jams. Get it? It was a "Peanut Butter & Jelly JAM".


What fun it was. A continuing swirl of rock and R&B classics interpreted with unbridled enthusiasm by local guitar and vocal heroes circling up to sing, clap, and riff. Notables included Steve Sipes on keyboard, James Albritton on guitar and vocals, Mark Serio on guitar, Tony LeClerc on bass, A.J. on vocals, anchored by Bain and Twinkle. The gig doubled as a CD release party for Twinkle's new disc.



I've seen Bain soldier through many solo gigs on quiet Tuesday nights, as well as early-Sunday-morning wake-up-calls at the Siesta Key Farmers Market -- and those are always rewarding. But last night was a pull-out-the-stops reminder that in Sarasota's live music scene, you never know what's in store, so you might as well put on your face and your dancing shoes and head out the door, if only for an hour or two. Thanks, Bain, for cheering up a drizzly Wednesday night. You really topped that peanut butter with a great JAM!


No comments:

Post a Comment