Tuesday, March 4, 2014

"Delinquent Duo": Chris Otto & Siesta Key Lei

Wanting to vary my weekly live music schedule, last Tuesday evening I headed over to Darwin's, on 4th Street, just east of Lemon Avenue in Sarasota to check out two musicians I'd seen play solo and with other bands. Recombining in this instance as the Delinquent Duo were Chris Otto and Siesta Key Lei (Lei Stanhope). I wouldn't have put them together in my imagination, but they've crafted a pleasing and idiosyncratic sound and song list.



Chris Otto can be seen regularly doing solo gigs at S.K.O.B. on Siesta Key and at Marina Jack's at Bayfront Park. Siesta Key Lei is the lead guitarist and backup vocalist for Shift Change and sits in with The Instigators on lead and support vocals. At Darwin's, they featured a two-guitar dance that interwove leads, rhythm, and vocal harmonies. I particularly enjoyed their rendition of "Cassidy", a Grateful Dead tune written by John Barlow and Bob Weir. Otto offered a few of his originals, too.

They're recording their performances in anticipation of an upcoming CD. To that point, the sound quality I heard had nice depth, resonance, and a warm, live tone.

Delinquent Duo is on the calendar for Tuesday nights at Darwin's, from 6:30 to 9:30PM. Get there early for some tasty deals from the happy hour menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment