Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Live Music on Siesta Key

Monday is usually a slow night for live music in Sarasota. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful evening for a long walk on Siesta Beach, so I headed to Siesta Village, knowing I'd at least pass by some music along the way. As usual, the Sarasota live music scene did not disappoint!

First, I heard the clear and sweet tones of Andres Colin, smilingly engaging with the dinner crowd of vacationing families at The Hub Baja Grille. Had to stay for his renditions of No Woman, No Cry and O' Sole Mio (sung in Italian -- Andres is multi-lingual). Colin exudes fun and happiness, serving it up with rich musical talent and flair. I cannot watch him play without a big grin on my face, which is also true of the multi-generational audience he entertains.

On the way back from my beach walk (nothing like walking barefoot in the supersoft sands of Siesta Beach at sunset!), Zach Yoder's deep and plaintive voice caught my attention. He was set up at Siesta Key Oyster Bar (S.K.O.B.). I've seen him play guitar with Berry Oakley's Skylab and other local bands, so it was interesting to hear him perform in a duo. When he sings, out comes the voice of a man way beyond his youthful age, and when he plays, he goes into a fast, head-swaying trance, long locks obscuring his face. His guitar work is prodigious and deeply felt, and his vocal stylings really interesting and resonant of the 60s'.

Finally, to top off an already-top-notch night of walk-by live music, I joined the crowd gathered around The Garbage Men, a trio of high-school-age guys playing 60s rock 'n roll classics on instruments made from old cereal boxes, plastic jugs and cardboard tubes. Ya gotta hear 'em to believe it, but they really nail the sounds and feel of songs like The Doors' Hello, I Love You.

Last night's stroll proves, once again, that it's always worth it to "Get off the couch!" and go out to find live music in Sarasota!

No comments:

Post a Comment