Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Live Music on Siesta Key, in Sarasota

The skies were threatening, but I needed a beach walk, so I headed over to Siesta Key. Walking through the Village on my way to Siesta Beach, I heard the unmistakeable, fast-moving guitar leads of Frankie Lombardi, who was serenading the outdoor tables at Blase Cafe. Deciding against the beach walk, since the wind was picking up and clouds moving in, I sat for awhile listening to Lombardi sing and riff. He extends and gives depth to familiar songs, adding stylistic licks that make them his own. Lucky Siesta Village would have a double-bill of Lombardi tonight, since he was slated to play drums with Kettle of Fish later in the evening at the Beach Club on Ocean Boulevard.

Walking back through the Village, I remembered that singer-songwriter Tommy D (Doerr) has a dinnertime Tuesday evening gig at Blu Que Island Grill on Avenida de Messina. So I stopped by there in time to enjoy a triple-bill of some of my fave original songs from his CDs, including "Funky Time", "Every Day is Friday", and "Bud Light Bob." Tommy D's smooth vocals and interesting guitar rhythms draw me in every time I see him play.

Seeing Lombardi and Doerr had more than made up for my missed beach walk, and I was happily headed towards my car, when I heard yet another familiar voice and guitar. It was Andres Colin, singing a beautiful, complex Spanish tune in his mellifluous, almost-operatic style. Truly, he has the sweetest voice, in whatever language he slides into, and draws from one of the most versatile songbooks around. Colin has a winning performance personality full of smiles and happiness that he transmits generously to the dinner crowd in front of him.

Would love to have listened longer, but the wind picked up, swirling sand and palm fronds, so I counted myself lucky for the treat of seeing three wonderful performers on one visit to Siesta Key, and headed home just as the raindrops fell.

No comments:

Post a Comment